Friday, May 28, 2010

Keeping Busy

It’s been a long time since I’ve written any updates for this place. I have no real excuse, though I have been busy at times. When the 12th Air Cavalry disbanded, I flew back to my Chapter House on the core world of Bellerophon to resume my work as a Companion, but found my interest wavering. I took care of my usual clients but after a while, I just started going out sailing again since being out on the open ocean can just free my mind of so many memories and worries that plague my conscience at times.

One day while I had stopped in a port to re-supply I saw a notice about fishing tournaments that are routinely held, and the purse money impressed me. So I entered a few tournaments, but found that as usual the people weren’t all that friendly with a registered Companion being around. After checking my funds, I decide to enlarge my property holdings and build an official tournament fishing camp as you can fish these tournaments from any “Official” camp. This way I can fish from my own land without any adverse reactions from the other contestants. Also, if any of my old friends wished to try their luck in a tourney, they’ll feel right at ease with the quiet relaxing atmosphere of the Chapter House property.

One of my friends General Parkin joined me fishing a few times though I guess he just didn’t find the enjoyment that I get out of it. I noticed that quite a few times while he was casting that his hook kept getting tangled up on his weapon that he always keeps strapped on his back. I repeatedly reassured him that he was safe here, as no Alliance patrols ever try to hassle my lands, so I guess it pays in more ways than one to keep some of my higher echelon clientele. General also would constantly wash his hands after each fish, stating that he had to always be sure he could have a good grip on his weapons, just in case ….. I certainly hope that was the case, and not that he was a bit squeamish with the fish slime and scales. I guess I’ll never know the truth though because whenever I’ve seen him at the Firefly’s Bar and try to engage him in a fishing conversation, he immediately changes the subject.

So, these last five months I’ve been entering these tourneys and winning my share of them. I have no idea how many I’ve entered, but I do know how many times I’ve won a trophy with a cash purse. So far in these five months I’ve won 91 trophies and I had to build a storeroom just to house them all. In the tournament standings for this year I’m currently placed in 11th best, so I’m doing better than average. Far worse is all these fish I’ve caught, as it really isn’t worth it to try to sell them here on Bellerophon since our market is always flooded with fish. I wonder … is there any Captain of a cargo ship that might find a market and profit for these fish out on any of the rim worlds? If any Captain wants to give it a try, all they’d have to do is make me an offer over the cortex.

Maybe another time I'll update you to my newest venture and headache, the movie business.

No comments:

Post a Comment